Friday 3 April 2015

To Kill a Mockingbird...Once a classic always a classic!

Title: To Kill a Mockingbird
Author: Harper Lee
ISBN: 978-0-09-954948-2
Rating: 9/10
Genre: Drama

"I could not possibly hope possibly hope to be a lady if I wore breeches: when I said I could do nothing in a dress, she said I wasn't supposed to be doing things that required pants. Aunt Alexandra's vision of my deportment involved playing with small stoves, tea sets, and wearing the Add-A-Pearl necklace she gave me when I was born; furthermore, I should be a ray of sunshine in my father's lonely life."

"I'd rather you shot at tin cans in the back yard, but I know you'll go after birds. Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird,"


"Mr X Billups rode by on a mule and waved to us. 'He's a funny man,' said Jem. 'X's his name, not his initial. He was in court one time and they asked him his name. He said X Billups. Clerk asked him to spell it and he said X. Asked him again and he said X. They kept at it till  he wrote X on a sheet of paper and held it up for everybody to see. They asked him where he got his name and he said it's the way his folks signed him up when he was born.'"


These are three quotes from To Kill a Mockingbird which I feel summaries the book very well. This is a book I have read before whilst at school, but as it is a classic it is something I have been wanting to read again and know I will read it in the future.


A book about a young girl finding her way in life with her father, Atticus, and brother, Jem. She doesn't know where she fits into her town and what her role in society is. However,  with the help of Jem, Scout tries to establish herself in the world.

The children become interested in the quiet house at the end of their town owned by the Radley's. Why doesn't anyone come out? Why doesn't anyone go in? Where has Boo Radley gone? All questions Scout and Jem are determined to answer. 

They soon become wrapped up in the grown up world of court cases and racial segregation but are still fascinated, like every other child in the town, what has happened to Boo? This story really makes me question the way people treat one another. How only 80 years ago a man could find himself on trial for something simply because he's black! Jem questions this "way of life" and starts to challenge why racial segregation exists.

Although the book was published in 1960 it is still read around the world by millions every year! It is still loved by many, whether you are reading it the first time of for the 10th time. It is a classic and can be read again and again. Every time this book is read another aspect is noticed. I was able to understand the racial discrimination displayed within a small community. Although, it took a little while for the story to start, continue with the story and you will find one of your favourites you can't put down.

I would definitely recommend this book. I would definitely read this again.
A classic. A tear jerker. A real thought provoker. Well done Ms Harper. Can't wait for the new book release in July.

Rating: 9/10
10 word review...small town questions everything they know because of Tom Robinson.


My next review will be a book I am reading for work. Mr Stink by David Walliams.
I haven't read this before but I have heard good things about the books. It's a little different to my usual books. Hope you enjoy.

Thanks again for reading my review. I hope you enjoy reading them and feel free to share them amongst others! Thanks...Steph xx

No comments:

Post a Comment