Tuesday 1 September 2015

Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold...the beginning

Title: Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold
Author: Iain Reading
ISBN: 978-1502300874
Rating: 6/10
Genre: Young adult, action, adventure, mystery

"Stopping for what felt like the hundredth time, I leaned over, face down on all fours, to inhale and exhale raggedly. Stretching my neck forward, I looked up toward the summit. The line of orange poles seemed to stretch on forever, winding back and forth across the waterfall of rocks and stones and boulders that cascaded down between the two small peaks up above me.
That is exactly what it looked like - a waterfall of rock. There could not possibly be better words to describe it than that. It was as though some immense pair of hands had poured a giant bucket or rocks and boulders down the slope towards where I was catching my breathe."


This was another book which I received from the author, Iain Reading, with a request to review. This book is the first book in the series and the second Kitty Hawk book I have read. It took me longer than usual to read this book. I usually aim for a book a month and being off over the summer I thought I would complete the book quickly. However, I did not finish the book so quickly. There was a lot of description at the beginning of the story. This is due to the story being so historically rife with information. There was a lot of information allowing the reader to understand the background of the Yukon River and the gold rush in the mountains. Although, it took me longer to read through the information, I did find it beneficial to the story. Without the information I would not have been able to understand the frantic search and effort Charlie, Buck, Will and Jay have to get their family gold back from Crazy Alaska Jack.

There was lots of opportunities where I felt both nervous and apprehensive for Kitty. Not knowing how she was going to get herself out of these dangerous situations. There were times that I was thinking what made Kitty think she could survive these situations? Why did she think it was a good idea to sneak into the woods and follow a group of gold thieves? At 18 she was surprisingly confident for a young girl.

As I had read the fifth book in the series I was aware of the character of Charlie, how he is a dear friend of Kitty and a great support to her I was unsure for a long while during the story as to how Charlie could go from a gold thief to a close friend, who in the latest instalment I was sure was going to become in a relationship with Kitty. It was a surprise to find out the story behind Charlie and his family history. To find where the gold had come from and to find out how they had all ended up in the woods living in tents trying to make their way up to the Chilkoot Pass. 

Throughout the story, as mentioned, I was unsure how the gold stealing Charlie who had Kitty tied up and unable to move without command was going to turn into a good friend. However, I was completely unaware of the true story of Charlie. I believed he was a gold thief, just like Kitty did. I believed Crazy Alaska Jack was the true owner of the gold and Kitty had been trying to help him get his gold back from Charlie. How wrong I was! Kitty had been on some dates with a nice young man named Edward, she was concerned about not replying to him whilst in the woods with Charlie and his brothers. She was soon to find out the connection between, Charlie, his brothers, Crazy Alaska Jack and Edward. This was a surprise in the story to both Kitty and myself.

I did feel the beginning of the book had a lot of information supplied in order for the reader to understand the history of the Yukon River and the gold rush, but I enjoyed the story for the remaining half. The story was fast paced and when I thought there was a natural stop to the story, Reading continued the twists and turns of the story and made things happen which I had never thought would. I had never thought about the true story of the brothers and their family history. I did not imagine the connection between Edward and the brothers. I had not imagined the way Reading would keep me convinced Charlie and his brothers were in the wrong holding the gold and that it should be returned "to its true owner".

Overall, the story was enjoyable, it was informative at the beginning and there was a lot of history about the gold rush. Information which may not necessarily be needed. Although, once the story was under way and I was unsure whether Kitty would ever escape and return to every day life. I wanted to know what would happen, I wanted to know who the gold actually belonged too!

The story did, similar to the fifth book in the series, offer more questions at the end than it answered. I still need to know what happened to Jack once the brothers met up with him. How far did he get? What did he take? Will they ever get it back? Maybe the next book will answer this.

Rating: 6/10
10 word review: lots of information, keep going and you will not stop.

My next review will be of One Day by David Nicholls. This is a book which I have had for years and I have heard good things about the film. I am hopeful and look forward to reading it.

Once again, thank you so much for reading my blog. I am so close to reaching 1000 page views and I only look forward to what will come next...Steph xx

No comments:

Post a Comment