Friday 25 March 2016

Spellbound...Twists and turns throughout

Title: Spellbound
Author: Laurie Elisabeth Ashcroft
ASIN: B012J0 KAAS
ISBN: 978-0-9933604-0-4
Rating: 7/10
Genre: Fiction, Crime

"I have to admit, Cloaky took the whole tunnel thing better than I'd have expected him to. Instead of bursting into loud, hysterical, mildly-psychotic tears at the revelation that his 'Mistress' wasn't quite as witchy as she'd have him believe, he'd just stood at the edge of the cavern in almost a daze, frowning down at the entrance to the tunnel and putting so much effort into working out what it meant that he didn't even seem to notice me and Angie tying his hands together with the red, felt belt from my coat, which, by the way, made getting him back through the tunnel very easy and fun. It also made it nicely possible for me to accidently let go of him as I was helping him to climb down the rungs towards Angie, since obviously he could only use them as stairs rather than the ladder-type thing that they actually were. But that was OK. I mean, he broke the fal with his nose, so it all worked out really well."

I was asked to review this book by a friend. The author. I was delighted to do so as I had seen her post things on social media about her book and how far she had written and what the next development in the story would be. The author is a fellow blogger and appreciates the use of sharing things online.

I was looking forward to reading this book as I had read the reviews online where they talk about all the different turns and twists in the story. Well...! There were so many! Just when I thought we were developing some understanding into Elodia Knight, she would vanish into thin air or she would abscond from criminal proceedings. There were times when I did think Armitage Black should keep her "curious" (nosy) nose out of the police business, but credit to her, she did find the answers out in the end and both her and Angie did help with the criminal investigations

However, what I did not expect was so much violence! I didn't know a character, especially a young girl who has a fear of blood, could fight with such vengeance and persistence. She definitely had a bee in her bonnet when Knight kept trying to hurt Black.

Armitage Black is a young girl who lives with her best friend Angie and her dog Squidge. She works for the local police force as a typist (sounds surprisingly similar to professions I know we have both been in Miss Ashcroft!!). Black has a, shall we say, unappreciated interest, in criminal proceedings of local interesting cases. She enjoys to watch and type the interviews up and then start her own investigation.

One person who particularly does not appreciate this, is the police officer Aidan Hadaway, the best friend of Angie's boyfriend Detective Constable Jonny Wallace. Throughout the story, Black is adamant she does not like Hadaway anymore than the annoying arrogant "man slag" that she believes he is. The whole way through the story there are different opportunities for both Black and Hadaway to finally realise their feelings for one another. This is something I thought would absolutely definitely happen and would be a running theme, however, Ashcroft keeps us in suspense right until the very end, will Black and Hadaway finally get together? Will Black stop being so childish and actually have a real conversation with him? Who knows!

Overall I did enjoy the book. It was an enjoyable read, the writing was easy to read and there were no confusions as to who was who or why things were happening in the story. There is a selection of spelling errors, which can be down to this book being an early print. This did not take away from the story in any way. The story is captivating, interesting and it keeps you in suspense about Elodia Knight right until the end. I was a little disappointed, as Black was, of the outcome for Knight, I had hoped some true justice for Knight, but I suppose nothing was more conclusive than the ending.

I would definitely recommend this book to a friend, which I already have and I would read it again. I look forward to seeing if Ashcroft prints any additional books and I would look forward to reading them and writing any reviews she requests. Thank you again for choosing me to review your book, I hope you have enjoyed my review and I can only apologise it has taken so long! The life of a teacher ey!

Rating: 7/10
10-word review: such an honour! Poor Armitage! Amazed she didn't break anything.

I have now finally been able to use my TBR Jar. I have had this jar for months! I use the jar to decide for me which book is to read next. The next lucky winner is...







THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak.

I was given this book in 2012 for World Book Night and I am so happy to now finally be reading it. A number of my friends hold this book as one of their favourites, let's hope it does not disappoint.

I can only apologise for my lack of posting recently. I really am trying to post more often and about a wider selection of information and books. I look forward to posting more soon. Any recommendations? Please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment