Friday 9 December 2016

Dream a Little Dream...can I fall asleep more often please?

Title: Dream a Little Dream
Author: Giovanna Fletcher
ISBN: 978-1-405-91916-6
Rating: 7/10
Genre: Romance, Fiction, Adult, Love

"Even though Real Brett was right in telling me not to act without thinking in the heat of the moment. I'm ashamed that I slid back into the role of Jonathan's doting PA so quickly. That I was there making him coffee, replying to his emails and booking his car in for an MOT the very afternoon that he trampled all over my loyalty.
Do I really have no self-respect? No dignity?
Do I really place my own fulfilment so low down on my scale of priorities? After all, it's not the first time I've put someone's needs and happiness before my own. I did the same with Dan all those years ago.
Perhaps I'm someone that people take for a pushover.
A total mug.
Mum's completely right about people like me being totally undesirable.
Well, I'm sick of being that person. I no longer want to make things easier for everyone else just to keep the peace. F**k that. Sometimes in life you have to stop and say to yourself, 'You know what? Now's my time to be selfish...'
Well now's my time to be a little selfish and make my life about me."

I have always been a massive McFly fan and since Tom Fletcher married Giovanna I have been a big fan of her. So when I saw that Giovanna had decided to write fiction I was very interested in buying them. It took me a little while to decide which book to buy first. I decided to start with Dream a Little Dream as, at the time, this was the newest release. I was really glad I chose this book. One of my friends had read another of her books and had told me how she had enjoyed it, my friend doesn't often read so it must have been good.

However, it was a little slow to start with. I generally read books in the gym, when I actually go, or in bed at night, and this was a book which I didn't feel the urge to have to pick it up all the time and get through the next chapter, to start with. However, my partner bought the new Fifa game, giving me more time to read my books, worked out well that as he was getting more into the game, making me into a Fifa Widow, I was able to get more and more interested in the book.


Sarah is a single girl in her late 20s. She has not had a series relationship for two years and she still regularly meets up with her ex and their friends. Her ex, Dan, has now fallen in love with "perfect Lexi". Sarah cannot stop herself from pining over what she is missing with Dan. She is aware that she does not directly want Dan, but she does still feel hurt and betrayed that Dan broke her heart to start a relationship with another girl within days.

Sarah starts dreaming about a forgotten about...acquaintance, shall we call him. Brett. Someone who Sarah knew at university because he was friends with her friend's brother. She has not seen Brett for years and she cannot understand why Dream Brett has suddenly appeared. Not only has he randomly appeared in her dreams he is now starting to do things in her dreams which Sarah has never thought of. She has never seen Brett in that light and now her mind is making her think things she does not expect.

Suddenly, after a particularly steamy dream, Real Brett is accepted for a position at Sarah's work. She is a personal assistant to a television producer. He now works in the same office as Sarah. Sarah struggles to distinguish between Dream Brett and Real Brett. In order for their professional relationship to succeed Sarah needs to deal with the unusual and unfamiliar feelings she has and decide if she feels that way about Dream Brett or Real Brett.

Sarah's life and the life of her friends continue to develop, they have their highs and they have their lows with some devastating news for Sarah's best friend. The group of friends help each other and develop and strengthen their friendships. Sarah finally discusses her feelings with Dan and they talk about how he made her feel when he broke her heart. Every person has experienced that awful, gut-wrenching feeling of having your heart pulled out and stomped on. To then have that very same person continue to interact in your social circle with the very person who stole him from you must be painful, to say the least.

Through work, Sarah and Brett are brought closer together and they start to open up to one another. They use this time whilst planning projects to find out about one another and sparks start to fly. Will Sarah and Brett finally tell each other how they feel? Will Sarah's feelings for Dan subside from hate so she can be happy for her and him?

Overall I did enjoy this book. I would recommend it to someone else and I would be interested in buying more Giovanna Fletcher books. I am glad that Sarah was able to deal with her emotions and feelings effectively.
Rating: 7/10
10-Word-Review: Slow to start with but once introduced Brett, loved it!

I have currently started listening to Crazy in Love an audiobook by Chrissie Manby. About Birdie Sederburg about her ridiculous logic on life. I will be posting soon about my views on this book.
I have also started reading a new author's book which she kindly sent to me. Alluvia by JH Lewis is a story about a lady in her early 30s who can wake up on morning being one of three people, she doesn't know which person she will be each morning. Her family are unaware of this but yet a stranger comes into all three of Anna's worlds. Will she be able to make the connection between the stranger and who she really is?

Thank you once again for reading my blog! I shared on my own Facebook and on the blog's Facebook about the #savetheculture challenge. The action of sending your favourite book to someone and receiving many books in return. So far I have had four books returned to me. This came back with a lot of negativity from a number of people on social media calling it a scam and a fix. Why people have to be so negative and unwelcoming of something I do not know. If you're not interested, don't read it! I will be posting a blog shortly about the books which I have kindly received and would love to hear if anyone has already read any of them about would like to share their opinion on the books. Once again check out my Goodreads page for what books are coming soon, and please by all means add me if you wish.

Thanks again and if I do not post before Christmas then I wish you all a very very Merry Christmas!! Steph xx

No comments:

Post a Comment