Monday 10 July 2017

Close Your Eyes...I don't want too!!

Title: Close Your Eyes
Author: Michael Robotham
ISBN: 978-14450-53042
Rating: 8/10
Genre: Crime, Thriller, Murder
Book: Audiobook

This is the first book in the Professor Joe O'Loughlin series which I have read. I was not aware that there is a series of books and I found myself starting with number 8! Once I found this out I was unsure whether it was going to be difficult to get involved in the story. Not at all! Michael Robotham introduces each character with enough information and interest to ensure I did not feel left out and unfamiliar with the characters.
The book starts with a Prologue explaining how, what I thought was Joe's mother died, but the more I listened to the story the more I realised the narrator was not always Professor O'Loughlin. There is a change in the way the narrator talks and describes certain aspects of his life. There is a shift in his tone, his understanding, his compassion. One narrator is understanding and considerate and the other is judgemental, cruel and unkind. One narrator is the Professor. I found myself asking at the beginning of the book, who is the other? It did not take long to realise who this cruel, evil person was to the story.

The actual story starts with the murder of a mother and her 18-year-old daughter. There are huge amounts of information and evidence to go through and it has been a month since the murder before Joe is brought in to help with the investigation. The reason for his engagement? A previous student of Joe's has been "helping" with the investigation and has revealed vital pieces of information to the public about the murders and the police are not happy. Milo Coleman, the psychiatrist who is investigating the murders and trying to write a criminal profile for the perpetrator, is releasing crucial clues to the media, not only are the police not happy about this but the murderer is not happy with the factually inaccurate profile Milo is giving. The murderer decides to show Milo how much he disagrees with his opinions on a lonely evening in a multi-storey car park.

There are a number of suspects in the double murder investigation, but then unconnected women are being attacked in parks, on dark paths, along lonely roads and on the beach. The women have no connection or contact with either Elizabeth Crow or her daughter Harper. So why are they being attacked and marked for life following the double murder? The deranged individual is leaving a carved A in the foreheads of these women. He decides to take it upon himself to maim these women so that they will never feel comfortable in their own skin again, because "this is what they deserve". On what level does this evil person feel they have the right to attack people based on their habits and opinions.  I could understand why people, such as Harper, were feeling nervous about being out alone. Especially, when there is the chance that Harper knew or saw something she shouldn't have.

Professor O'Loughlin continues his work with the police, specifically Chief Superintendent Ronnie Cray, to find this person whilst trying to deal with his own personal issues. His eldest daughter is leaving for university in Oxford but won't tell him what she is studying, his younger daughter questions and asks about everything and anything and does not pause for a breath and his estranged, but loving, wife has found out she has a life threatening illness to contend with, all whilst he has his own Parkinsons diagnosis to come to terms with. All of these issues in one man's life, and an evil, psychopath on the loose murdering and "randomly" attacking women is a lot for anyone to deal with.

The more the police and the Professor investigate into Elizabeth and Harper's deaths and the brutal attacks the more suspects come forward, the ex-husband, the disgruntled lover, the casual flings from online dating and sexual exploits in cars, but who is to blame? Through continued, thorough investigation and the more mistakes the killer leaves behind, the more Joe is able to start to pull together the answers. His eldest daughter, Charlie, even starts to help with the investigation noticing information which no one else has. Charlie's help leads to trouble and worries for Joe. With his wife's illness and the new danger his daughters are in due to Charlie's help, what will Joe do? A storm at the beach doesn't look such an inviting place to go anymore.

There are a number of characters in this story who I could relate to. Who were fun and interesting. I particularly liked Joe's wife Julianne and his youngest daughter Emma. There are thrills, surprises, unsuspecting characters all working their way through this story. It is through the use of your own investigation skills that you can try and work out who the killer is. I will admit I did not work out who the killer was myself, however, once I knew I think I would have guessed had I paid more attention to the close detail within the story.

I would not definitely read another Michael Robotham book, and I hope to read more about Professor Joe O'Loughlin and his family. I would love to know what now happens to them. I need book 9! I had not heard of Michael Robotham before reading this book but I will definitely keep looking for his name. This is the first murder mystery book I have read in a long time. The last one being I Can See You by Karen Rose. I have loved both, maybe crime and investigation books are more my thing than I thought?

I would definitely recommend this book to a friend and it is yet another great use of my local library to get audiobooks. I am always aware of how expensive audiobooks can be to buy so why not use your library for this and for many other resources. I am going to return to my library to find another audiobook to listen to.

Rating: 8/10
10-word-review: Thrilling, interesting and gripping from start to finish, what next?

Yes, I am still reading The Woman in White, BUT I finish work in two weeks time for the summer so I have no other plans but to read! Plus I have my birthday to celebrate in August and I am going to Croatia, so plenty of time to read! However, travelling means taking my Kindle, As much as I love reading a physical book it just makes more sense to take my Kindle. I am also hoping to get to read in lots of new and calm places whilst I am off over the summer, so will be getting my geek on in a number of places!

No comments:

Post a Comment