Sunday 14 October 2018

Stockton Library Fright Night and Bryony Pearce

For the second year in a row, I went to the Fright Night at Stockton Library. This year we were lucky again! We visit to celebrate everything spooky and we were visited by fantastic young adult author Bryony Pearce. Bryony had visited the school I work at earlier that day and I had the pleasure of meeting her. For a horror writer, she is a lovely lady! By her own admission, "After meeting me people are often surprised about how dark my work is, I am deceptively happy." The kids loved her! Her outfit, her boots, her amazing outlook on life. There was definitely a buzz around the school coming from the Year 7s and 8s after they had met her. I was then invited to the Fright Night at Stockton Library and was able to meet Bryony again and buy her books for myself.

I bought a personalised signed copy of Phoenix Burning, Phoenix Rising and Savage Island. I was also able to listen to a reading from her books. Although I have previously admitted that horror is not my thing, I am definitely interested in reading these books and a review will be published as always onto here first, then Goodreads and Amazon to share my thoughts and opinions. I will admit, during Bryony's talk, she showed a video...I did not watch. Along with a number of the others in the room I knew I would have jumped, the colleague I was sat with definitely did, so nope not for me...I will be brave when reading the books. I have a confession to make though, I have just rewatched the video she showed us on Youtube and had to put it on silent and watch it on pause so I could put the scary bits on I only wanted to see! I know I should be able to face it but no thank you!




  

I absolutely loved my time at the library, as always, and I feel I am given these amazing opportunities through work. The kids love it and they are in awe when they meet a real-life author. The person who gets to bring their imaginations and their favourite stories to life. What kid wouldn't like that? I remember being in primary school and an author coming to visit. I was in absolute admiration of her. She was like this mystical being. Normal people don't meet authors and now I work in a school where we have them in school. I love it! 

Bryony was open, friendly and approachable to all. She even had time to have a conversation with me about Harry Potter and the upcoming Fantastic Beasts film and her opinion on the Grindelwald/Dumbledore "relationship". We all know how much I love Harry Potter and could discuss it for hours. Thank you again, Bryony for spending your time with us on a Friday night. I really enjoyed myself.

I am really looking forward to reading these books and they will be next on my list after the book which I have received from Book Publicity Services, Gazelle in the Shadows by Michelle Peach. I am reading Frank Skinner's autobiography at the moment and will be posting my opinions shortly.

Thank you so much to you all for the shares, follows and comments on social media it means so much and it means that in the past 3 and a half years that Three Minutes and Forty Five Seconds has been running nearly 15,000 of you have seen my posts. Here is to many more years! Thank you...Steph xx

No comments:

Post a Comment