Wednesday 19 December 2018

Pros and Cons of Physical book v digital book Jan

There has been a number of debates about what people prefer, a physical book or an electronic book? A traditional paper book or a Kindle? A hardback or reading your Ipad? It has been such a difficult decision since electronic readers became a thing. There has been a huge influx in people buying e-readers.

I do own a Kindle Paperwhite and I love it. I enjoy the ease of being able to travel with it. I love how simple it is to use and how I can just carry it from place to place without thinking. I am able to go anywhere and take a huge library of books with me. I can read an array of books in a short space of time because I can use the books I have already downloaded and just get lost in a world wherever I am.


I have travelled to a number of places and have been able to take my Kindle with me. I have been able to read on an aeroplane, in a hotel, on a bus, in Germany, Croatia, Switzerland amongst other places. Yes, I could have done this with a paperback but I would have had to take more than one book physically with me in comparison to being able to take a single Kindle to anywhere I want.


Although I have been a fan of my Paperwhite there are always advantages to using a physical book. There is nothing like the excitement of going into a shop and not knowing which book to buy, reading the blurbs and deciding which one to choose. The smell, the feel, the crisp new pages as you try not to break the spine of a book, yeah I am a geek! What of it?


I have enjoyed using my Kindle but it does not beat a physical book. I absolutely love being able to see how much I have read and how much I have left. I love to work out how many pages are left. However, there are downsides to both. A physical book can break apart the more you read it. It can get wet and fall apart. But a Kindle Paperwhite can lose battery and you have nothing else to read. Yes, the battery is supposed to last a month to six weeks but what if you get to the end of that time and don't have your charger? No more reading, unfortunately. I would hate for that to happen to me if I was away and needed to read. Need to read you ask? Yes, there is always a need to read!


I would love to know what you think about physical books and electronic readers? Which do you prefer to read from?

No comments:

Post a Comment