Saturday 4 April 2015

Mr Stink...Get this book for your kids, I'm getting them all!

Title: Mr Stink
Author: David Walliams
ISBN: 978-0-00-727906-7
Rating: 7/10
Genre: Children's book, comedy

"'My work here is done. And I'm a wanderer,' said Mr Stink. 'It's time for me to wander on.' 
'But we want you to be safe and warm here with us,' said Chloe. Tears were rolling down her cheeks now. Annabelle wiped away her sister's tears with her sleeve. 
'I am sorry, Miss Chloe. I have to go. No tears please. No fuss. Farewell to you all and thank you for your kindness.' Mr Stink put down his cup and saucer, and headed for the door. 'Come on, Duchess,' he said. 'It's time to go.'"


Mr Stink was a book I was reading because of work. Due to being off work I have been able to read it quickly and really did enjoy it. It's a few years since I've read a children's book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was the last children's book I read in 2011. 

Chloe befriends a local tramp and she tries to keep her friendship a secret from her family, especially her power obsessed mother. This unlikely friendship is what Chloe needs in her life. She doesn't have any school friends and she feels her family don't love her like they do her younger sister Annabelle.

This happy, funny story reminded me of Mary Poppins. Mr Stink comes into Chloe's life when she is in desperate need for him. When she no longer needs him he moves on and wanders away. 

Although, I enjoyed the book I did feel there were some slight controversial topics within the story. For example, referring to certain people as "dole scum" and asking for all homeless people or "soap-dodgers" to be banned from the streets. Also, when Chloe and Annabelle try to make Mr Stink presentable to meet the Prime Minister they put make up on him and say he looks like a "transvestite tramp". This may be appropriate to David Walliams' usual characters and pieces of work but not really suitable for a children's book. Some people may be happy for their children to read about transvestites in their children's books, but just a warning to those people who aren't.

Overall I enjoyed the book and would read it to children, even if I were to cut out some sentences or paragraphs. The book is funny, light and an appropriate level read for children. The illustrations from Quentin Blake make the book even more visual for children. With Walliams' vivid descriptions and Blake's beautiful drawings this book is a great read for children. It could hopefully introduce a whole new world of reading for many children. With Blake's illustrations I did have to keep reminding myself this was not a Roald Dahl book! Walliams' has created a new type of story for children, funny, risky and relatable. Well done David.

Rating: 7/10
10 word review: Hopefully the beginning of a new generations love for reading.


My next review will be The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I haven't read this before or seen the film, but I have heard what it is about and hope it lives up to the reviews. I'm preparing to cry (I cry at anything!).

Once again thanks for reading this review, hope you enjoyed it and any thoughts or opinions would be greatly welcomed...Steph xx

No comments:

Post a Comment