Tuesday 27 October 2015

Sapient...Wow!! Where can I get Kaczmarowski's other book from?

Title: Sapient
Author: Jerry Kaczmarowski
ISBN: 978-0990410928
Rating: 9/10
Genre: Fiction, Sci-Fi

"'Tell them we're dead.'
The man nodded, now rushing to comply. He pulled a mobile phone out of a shirt pocket.
'No tricks. English only.' The man glanced at his torn ankle and knee and nodded in submission.
He pushed a speed-dial button, and Bear heard it ringing through the speaker. After a perfunctory greeting the man said, 'I got the dog.' The man listened for a moment. 'Yes, and the rat. We're good. I'm returning now.' The man hung up the phone and looked with a pleading expression at Einstein before turning to face Bear again. His eyes settled on Bear's still-bloody fangs.
Einstein tapped on the keys, but no sound came from the phone. He paused to stare at the man before hitting the Enter key. 'Now kill him.'"




This quote summarises the emotions I felt throughout this book. I loved Einstein and Bear throughout the story. A scientifically modified rat and dog. However, Einstein repeatedly showed a side which was not only cruel but borderline obsessed with causing pain to other humans.

I was provided with Sapient with a request to review it. I had not heard of the author before, Jerry Kaczmarowki, but I will certainly be looking for any past and future books which he creates. Wow! I was engrossed in the book from start to finish. From the opening chapter of finding Einstein, a research project, can communicate with others, to the twist at the end of the story about which organisation is really following Dr Jane Dixon's research into autism. Dr Dixon continuously tries to convince herself and others the research she carries out on any animals is to help the who autistic community and she has no motive to try and help her autistic son. This is never successful and the only person she is trying to convince is herself. Dr Dixon provides her own son with the injection she has given to both Einstein and Bear to help develop his understanding and abilities whilst living with autism. She does not think about the implications this could have. Injecting your child, or anyone, with an untested drug, where the only research is that based on a self obnoxious rat and a dog with one eye, is beyond dangerous and scary. Not only does she not know the side effects she does not have a cure should the injection fail and cause a wide spread epidemic. This is something Jane is convinced and adamant wont happen. How very wrong she can be!


I really enjoyed the story! I loved the character of Bear and Einstein, even if he can be a patronising so and so! I was constantly in fear for all of the characters about what would happen to them whilst they were trying to evade the authorities. What I did thoroughly enjoy was whilst Robbie was a child with autism, Kaczmarowski successfully created his character and allowed me to understand what it can be like to have autism. Having very little experience of autism I was not 100% aware of how it can feel and what the person can experience with anxiety and discomfort at the slightest noise or disruption in regular routine. I do not know if Kaczmarowski has personal experience of autism but I was very impressed with the informative perspective he gave of Robbie. Well done! 

Whilst I was about 50 pages from the end of the book I felt like it was comping to a close and I thought, "this can't possibly be it, he can't possibly close the story and just talk about the characters future lives, not after all the suspense and excitement during the story." I was not disappointed. I believed the remaining 50 pages were going to be talking about the lives of the characters after dealing with the repercussions of injecting humans and animals with an uncontrolled drug. This was not the case. Kaczmarowski provided an unexpected twist at the end and allowed the reader to continue their suspense on what would happen to Jane, Robbie, Bear, Einstein and the very helpful and caring Colonel Jim Rodgers, who works for the Department of Defence as a animal behaviourist. Would Jane and Jim realise they like each other and develop their relationship? Would Robbie contain the drug effects and be able to manage them without a cure? Would a cure ever be developed to get to the animals and Robbie in time? You must read the book to find out!

This is a definite must read. I couldn't put the book down once I started. Thankfully I have half term from school to spend my time reading rather than marking and planning! Would I read it again? Definitely. Would I like to read other books by Jerry Kaczmarowski? Definitely!

I will give you all one warning. Although, the story is funny, interesting, gripping and informative, it is a bit gruesome sometimes. Usually at an unexpected moment. I would be happily reading, building the suspense of how Robbie would get away from the wide range of "undesirables" he meets while trying to escape and then Kaczmarowski uses a graphically gruesome description of how this is accomplished. Certainly gave me a lovely mental image of the scene. Thanks for this when just getting ready to go to bed! This does add to the story though and it enhances the panic and worry Robbie has whilst trying to escape but remaining inconspicuous.  Once again, well done Mr Kaczmarowski.

Rating: 9/10
10 word review: A definite read! Do it!  Go and buy it now!

I was so stuck on what to choose to read next. I currently have 115 books on my bookshelf to read, all of these can be seen at my Goodreads account. The question was which book to choose. This is just a small collection of the actual books which sit on my shelf (I have recently invested in the David Walliams books collection, £21 on Amazon can you believe that!). 







I finally came to the long and hard decision to read Grey by E. L. James. I know this is not a book which will suit all readers, but I will admit I found a guilt pleasure in the original 50 Shades books so I hope this lives up to my expectations. 




I hope you enjoyed my review. Please let me know what you think in the comments. I will be posting a range of new and updated posts on my blog. Previously I have been just placing reviews. This will soon change. Keep an eye out for a new and updated Three Minutes and Forty Fives Seconds. Don't forget to check us out on Facebook, Twitter and now Instagram.

Steph xx

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading this books years ago, and it was definitely startling and exciting. I could not put it down!

    ReplyDelete