Friday 9 June 2017

Breakfast in Bed...Really Amber? Come on!

Title: Breakfast in Bed
Author: Eleanor Moran
ISBN: 9780751545494
Rating: 6/10
Genre: Romance, Chick lit, Fiction, Comedy
Book: Audiobook

Guys I am back on the audiobook band wagon! I am so glad I have decided to come back to audiobooks to listen too. I decided to take a small break from them after I read Love Hunt by Fiona Walker (just don't), I thought I was perhaps choosing the wrong books. I now don't think I was choosing the wrong books, I just think Love Hunt wasn't very good!

I can easily say my favourite quote from this book is very near the end of the story, "Milly is a great girl you know Amber!" Oscar defended her, hurt. "I know, Oscar. She is my best friend!" I love that someone has tried to convince Amber that her best friend is a really nice person. Erm...yeah, she is my best friend! Just the justification that Oscar thinks he can even attempt to explain what type of person Milly is.

The copy of Breakfast in Bed, which I withdrew from the library consisted of 8 discs, each one had 26 different "tracks" on each CD. There was 16 chapters in total. I have been following and updating my progress with the book on Goodreads and there are only 388 pages in the whole book, which for some people is not a very long read at all.

The story starts with the introduction of Amber, a country girl in her early 30s who lives in London and has split up from her husband. She doesn't know anything else than cooking and Dom. She finds herself living with her best friend, Milly, a caring, loving, free spirited lovely girl. Dom, Amber's soon to be ex husband, has betrayed her in an unforgivable way and she has left their family home and taking refuge with Milly. Like any true friend Milly welcomes Amber with open arms and doesn't ask any questions, unless Amber wants to talk.

Amber appears to be a confident, self assured, independent character. She works as a chef in London and gets a job interview at the newly opened restaurant owned by the notorious Oscar Retford. Oscar is as famous for his pigs blood ice cream and brain stew as he is his fiery temper. He works in a stressful environment, always wants the best and won't stand for anything less. Amber soon finds herself drawn to him, she knows he could be bad news, but could he also be the excitement and change she is ready for, and frankly deserves? This is one of many incidents where I realise Amber is scared of being alone and will try to do anything to stop herself being alone but does not want people to realise these are her true feelings. She needs someone to boost her up all the time.

However, Dom keeps appearing. He keeps turning up at times in Amber's life when, sometimes he is needed, but sometimes he just needs to stay out of her business. Although, Amber is trying to move on with her life with Oscar, she does make a number of excuses for him. Whatever he does it is not his fault that he is angry, or frustrated or that people don't understand his drive and his passion. Yes I am sure he is a passionate man who cares about his profession and his career but he doesn't have to be rude and cruel to some of Amber's nearest and dearest, especially Marsha, Amber's school friend.

Throughout the story I wanted to tell Amber to grow a backbone for herself, she went from Dom betraying her, to Oscar constantly referring to her as Fish Girl! I am sorry but if this is someone who is supposed to love Amber, can he please stop calling her Fish Girl! I understand people have cute, sometimes sickly nicknames for one another, but Fish Girl? Surely no one would appreciate a "nickname" like that, that's just cruel.

Usually, based on what Dom did to Amber, I would never in a million years want her to get back with him. But! I just did not want her with Oscar, he's abrasive, rude and just not right for her. Will she see the error of her ways or will I have to continue shouting at the story? Oscar still works with his ex wife and he has a tear away, idiotic teenage daughter, who just wants her father's attention and love, not his money. Oscar can't see this and finds himself throwing money at her and starting to lose his relationship with his daughter. Amber tries desperately to try and help him repair the damage, she has first hand experience based on her own relationship with her parents, especially her mum.

Amber continues to work through her range of emotions and the relationships with a variety of people in her life, both family and personal. Will she repair any damage which happened years before and amend the relationships which are currently falling apart in front of her? Amber needs to decide what she wants in life, who she wants and how she will get there! I keep on hoping she will finally realise that she deserves better and her friends and her family are the ones who truly matter.

Overall, I can say I did enjoy this book, however, it is definitely a holiday read on the beach. Not something which you would read if you were wanting to "get your teeth stuck" into a gripping story. For 388 pages it is an easy read and doesn't take too much concentration to keep up with the characters. There are a number of parts which made me laugh, and there are glimpses where I could see Amber coming into her own standing up for herself and taking some claim to her own decisions and what she wants.
Rating: 6/10
10-Word-Review: Amber needs a backbone! Good characters and would read another.

I am STILL reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, however I am now getting through it very quickly. I am really enjoying it! It is such a good book, some very gripping parts. Hopefully that will be the next review which I publish, it shouldn't be too far away. I am going to go and get another audiobook from the very handy library. I have even converted my boyfriend into listening to audiobooks, he doesn't read much so I am so happy that he has taken this step into books!!! Yes!!!!

I really would love to know what you recommend as great reads, the last book I read that gripped me was The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins over Christmas and I want something new and exciting. Thank you again for reading and I hope you find the review helpful when picking your next read...Steph xx

No comments:

Post a Comment