Friday 10 April 2020

The Writer...I have never cheered for a character, before now

Title: The Writer
Author: J. C. Maetis
Rating: 8/10
Genre: Holocaust, World War Two, Nazi, Jews
Type: E-Book (PDF)

"Then there was the minefield of what could be written about. People didn't want war stories, because it was too much of a reminder of what was going on outside their doors - no possible escapism. And it was perilous territory in any case because any Nazi had to be painted in a positive or sympathetic light. There were endless Nazi propaganda pamphlets, book and films for that - so no point in going into that territory. Same too for the perceived enemies of the Reich: the Jews, gypsies, Communists, Bolsheviks and dissidents; they had to be painted in a negative light. In the end, there was little safe ground in-between - so better to avoid the area altogether."

I was sent this book with the request for a review on the hope a publisher would pick it up and share it around the world. Well, I can just say they absolutely have to! I really enjoyed it! It did take me a little time, in the beginning, to become engrossed but once I was captivated I couldn't stop. I was staying up late, reading during the day to try and find out what happens to all of the characters.

There are two key characters Johannes and Mathias. Two writers who both live in Vienna, who create books about what they know. The story finds them as Anschluss is underway in their home city and the start of the Nazi regime. They are developing their popularity within the book world as they share an agent, Julian. Mathias has been working writing books for longer than Johannes so has more success but that success could be the difference between life and death. Another character is Josef, a police officer in Vienna who is friends with the authors and wants to do his best to try and help them and other persecuted Jews he knows. He is a key figure of the book and a reminder that not everyone in authority had a vendetta against the Jews. Putting his own career and life on the line for those he has made friends with and for his love of Deya, the love of his life of Romani Gypsy descent.

This is a book which needs to be read. People need to remember the atrocities that happened at concentration camps during the Second World War and how they should never be forgotten. I will admit I was nervous reading the book in the first half as I was unsure of how much detail Maetis would go into about the awful circumstances that the innocent people were subjected to at the hands of the Nazi regime, there are a number of areas which are difficult to read and not pleasant. However, due to a book which has such an interesting topic, you want to know what happens to the key characters and their friends, I found myself overlooking these details. Just wanting to know more. I am not known for wanting to read detailed, gory information which gives a graphic image in my head to hold on to, but this was a book which I could continue to read and wanted to develop the characters stories and what their fate held for them. I found as I continued to read the book my own concerns were not an issue as I just wanted to find out what happens.

There are two characters in particular who I feel were very similar types of characters. One within the concentration camp of Sobibór, Vogt, and an SS officer, Schnabel, who resides in Vienna. Due to the way that Maetis writes about both of these characters they created such emotion inside of me that I could not help but be pleased with the way he wrote about their part in the story and how their outcomes change. This was where I felt my emotions changing and how I finally thought there might be a positive outcome for the remaining characters, regardless of where these characters found themselves, concentration camps, such as Sobibór, Vienna in turmoil over survival or trying to cross the borders. I even found myself cheering at certain points.

The author leaves chapters in suspense and then changes the character sharing their story. This made me feel like I wanted to know more about the chapter I had left but then I realised I was back with a character I had wanted to know more about previously. There was always someone I wanted to know more about and wanted to find out what was happening to them during these uncertain times. The author created feelings within me for the characters which I did not expect, I had hate, happiness, hope and enjoyment throughout this book and it absolutely should be published for the world to enjoy.

There are twists and turns where we think some characters might be unable to survive and surprises where I was not anticipating what would happen to the characters. This is a book which shows the different sides to living in a Nazi-occupied country. How Jews had very different experiences during World War Two from being subjected to the atrocities in concentration camps, to hiding within plain sight of the Nazis within Vienna and finally to trying to escape the persecution and escaping the country over a border into a neutral, non participating country. The fear that they must have experienced is unimaginable and it definitely raises the question of whether the Nazi's were enjoying what they were doing or whether they had their own fear from a higher figure and were doing as they were told for fear of their own life.

I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone, which I already have. It needs to be published and needs to be within the public eye. I would say it was one of the better books I have read in regards to this topic. It was well written, compassionate and heartfelt in parts.

Rating: 8/10
10-Word-Review: Interesting and a must-read for everyone. Well done Maetis.

I am hoping to write a number of reviews very shortly. Due to circumstances in the UK, I currently have increased time to read. Hoping the reviews will come quickly. Stay safe and stay home!

No comments:

Post a Comment