Sunday 3 January 2016

Back to work tomorrow! If only I could read books as a profession


Evening all and Happy New year!!!! I thought I would place a post about what I have been up to over the Christmas break. As a number of you are aware I am a primary school teacher, so, fortunately, I have been off work since 19th December.



As I am sure a number of other teachers always have good intentions, as I did. It was my aim to get all my work done in the first week being off work. Hahahahaha! How I wish I had stuck to this plan and actually achieved something in that first week. I will tell you that I achieved nothing, academically, or achieving my aim of completing my workload. What I did achieve, was some great time spent with my family. Before the devastating floods hit the city I spent an evening in York, and Sheffield, with the other half. I also spent the day in the gorgeous, historic town of Whitby and our visited our local beach of Redcar. Both Whitby and York are a couple of my favourite places I have ever visited. I am so fortunate to live in the North of England. A lot of people ask why I live here, whether I have to wear a gas mask in order to breathe? Whether I ever wished I lived somewhere else? If I could leave tomorrow would I? The answer to all of these things is no! I do not have to wear a gas mask, I love the North East, and it would take a lot to get me to go elsewhere. I have family from the South of England and whenever we visit it is always so refreshing to come home. I find that it is easier to breathe "up North" than down South! Just look at this photo of Roseberry topping I took before Christmas. How can anyone not want to live in an area with this as their daily view. Nobody will ever take my Northern roots from me, just try!!


Over the Christmas break, I have also started to run more. My other half is very into his exercise, competing in a range of different sports at an international level, but I am not so keen. However, I have been more active recently. I joined the gym a few months ago and it is my New Years resolution to compete more and to exercise more. I will find the time after work to go and do what I need to keep fit and healthy. I have always been an active person, but I have found this profession has stopped me a number of times from exercising and keeping fit. As all my friends know, I enjoy my food, so I would much rather eat what I like and go for a run. None of this eating lettuce leaf malarky! I have also done a Park Run, I will be completing more of these and aiming to improve my times. So guys if I can do it then so can you!! Get cracking, start the New Year with your running trainers on and your best foot forward.

The update on my reading at the moment is I am still reading a book called Spellbound by Laurie Elisabeth Ashcroft. I am really enjoying this book! It is also safe to safe that this book has been with me on my travels over Christmas to the variety of different places I have been. So far I would definitely recommend this to others and I am looking forward to what the rest of the book brings. I am able to recognise a number of familiar qualities in the main character to the author. I would like to thank her again for sending me this book. I really appreciate it and I am looking forward to finishing it in the near future. Watch this space for an upcoming review.


In regard to my progress at work, I have been in discussion with my school about possibly starting a book club with the children. We have been asked to encourage the children into reading more for pleasure. As it is clear I am very passionate about reading and I would love to promote this love for reading for children. The school are looking into the possibility of creating a book club for the children to write their own reviews about books and we will create another blog to post their reviews. I shall keep you all updated on this progress and what may be coming in the future. I am, however, super excited, to say we will be reading both Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling within the class. I so hope this will excite the children as these were some of my favourite children's books.

I wish you all a Happy New Year and I look forward to posting more reviews and posts about books and other things developing in my life and in the book world. I am back to work tomorrow and although I love my job, I would love the job of reading books as a permanent job, is this even possible? How was your Christmas and New Year? I hope you all had a great time. Steph...xx

No comments:

Post a Comment