Saturday 20 February 2016

Stephen King, Jill Mansell, Agatha Christie, Harper Lee and half term!

I have very nearly completed my first half term as a full time employed teacher of my very own class of delights. 25 children who I am responsible for and who I enjoy working with every day. I spent my first half term catching up on appointments and meeting up with old friends.

It was great! We talked about past memories, we went out together and created new memories and I even met up with a friend I haven't seen in nearly 2 years as he's been spending his time jet setting around the world! I also bought a range of books! Of course I did! I am still reading Spellbound by Laurie Elisabeth Ashcroft, which I am still really enjoying, but I did buy a range of new and exciting books.



I bought my first Stephen King novel, Song of Susannah - The Dark Tower. I am aware this is the 6th book in the series, however, it was 50p and for a good cause. I bought 4 books at 50p a book with funds going to the Great North Air Ambulance a great charity which has been connected to a range of people I have known.

This is the first Stephen King book I have owned, I would love to know what anyone else thinks of this book? Have you read the series? Have you read this book? I am going to buy the remainder books in the series and maybe this will start a love for King!

Another 2 books I bought in the £2 deal are Nadia Knows Best by Jill Mansell and a 3 in 1 book, Making Your Mind Up by Jill Mansell, Second Honeymoon by Joanna Trollope and Be Careful What You Wish For by Alexandra Potter. So technically I bought 6 books for £2. I may have to go back to this book sale!


I couldn't resist this bargain! Book addict I know. I am looking forward to reading both these Jill Mansell books though. I have always been a massive Jill Mansell fan.














I also managed to find my first Agatha Christie book! Death in the Clouds. I have not read an Agatha Christie book before, however I have seen a range of the television series, Poirot, Miss Marple amongst many others. I am looking forward to reading this, I wonder if I will work it out? Will I find out who the murderer is before she tells me? Probably not!















I was recommended by a friend to read I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh. My friend told me she could not book this book down.The lead character's life becomes a nightmare in the blink of an eye, all she wants to do is leave this life behind. She moves to a remote village hoping she can start again. However, her past life is determines to catch up with her and destroy everything she has now built up in her life. I will be reading this shortly as it is high up on my list of next reads. Hopefully I enjoy it as much and I can highly recommend it to all you lovely people also. Whilst I was browsing through Amazon another particular book caught my eye. The Lie by C.L. Taylor. Jane Hughes has established a lovely life for herself with a lovely family. However, something happened in her past on a girls holiday leading to the death of 2 of the other people on the holiday. What happened on that holiday has now come to catch up with Jane. Will it ruin her peaceful life?


I really am looking forward to reading these books, as well as the 100+ other books on my bookshelf. I have also noticed a house has gone up for sale in my town which has it's own library. This is the 2nd time this house has gone up for sale in recent years, maybe it's fate for me to buy it and lock myself away in my very own library! Oh a girl can dream!

Unfortunately I have to end this post on a sad note, this week the world lost a literary great. Harper Lee passed away at the age of 89. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all time favourite books. It was the first literary classic I read. I was 14 and my mum recommended I read more classic books. I took the book out of my school library and was hooked from the first page. 10 years later her follow up book of Go Set A Watchman is released. Although I am going to admit I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book, I would still read it again. Thank you Ms Lee for introducing me to my love of reading. "Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."

I go back to work on Monday, lets hope this half term is as interesting and jam packed as the last one but I find more time to read this half term! Lets see what World Book Day brings this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment