Sunday 4 March 2018

Cogheart...Definitely a teenage read

Title: Cogheart
Author: Peter Bunzl
ISBN 978-1-4749-1500-7
Rating: 7/10 (for me) 8/10 (as a teenager)
Genre: Victorian, Fiction, Teenage Fiction, Adolescent
Book: Paperback

"'This' he hissed, 'is all because of you. Look after number one: that's what you're about.' 'No,' she spluttered, 'it's not true.' But maybe it was? She had brought the box here, and Malkin had come. She'd decided it was safe to stay with them, despite all she now knew. That thought made her queasy. She tried to think of something else to say, something comforting, but the words dried in her throat. So instead, she took off his da's coat and draped it over Robert's shoulders. 'There,' she said. She felt the cold now, in only her thin jacket, yet she knew Robert needed the coat much more than she did."

Cogheart is currently competing in a competition to be named Stockton Book of the Year 2018. The school which I work at are involved in the competition and the children are reading all 5 books. The children said they had enjoyed Cogheart so I thought I would give it a go and read it also.


The book starts with Lily at a boarding school which she hates. The teachers are unnecessarily mean to her. They don't listen to their students, they don't care what the students want, the staff just want to produce perfect little women. Lily is not that kind of girl. She wants adventure, excitement and to live her life to the full. This is not what the school want, they want her to be prim and proper and to be an
elegant lady.  Lily wants to leave and she can't wait to get out. This is when her father's housekeeper, Madame Verdigris, comes to collect her from school to inform her father has gone missing, supposed to be dead. Lily is understandably distraught and thinks the housekeeper will help her to deal with this and find out some answers. However, this is not the case, Madame Verdigris is vicious and manipulative. We soon find out her true character and how much Lily dislikes her.

We also meet Robert, the clockmaker's son and apprentice. He is a kind, smart young man who is learning his father's trade. He doesn't currently enjoy it too much as he feels he isn't very good, however, he is always learning. He lives with his father after his mother left at a young age. Robert is possibly one of my favourite characters in the story. Him and Malkin, the mechanimal, a mechanical fox Lily's father has made, are definitely my favourite characters. Malkin is mischievous, rebellious and sarcastic all rolled into one cute loveable pet fox. What isn't too like?

John, Lily's father, has disappeared under mysterious circumstances. With his disappearance has brought great danger. Mysterious and frankly horrendous looking men have started to follow and disrupt Robert and Lily's lives, Roach and Mould. Roach and Mould are hybrids, a mixture of human and mechanicals, with mirrors for eyes. They keep travelling in an airship, apparently a very common
form of transport in Victorian England. They fight, attack and cause panic for all involved. All for something which Lily has no idea about. All Lily knows is her father used to make mechanical and mechanimals and now these evil beings are chasing her for something. I just wanted Lily to have a nice time after the terrible life she had had from such a young age.

I feel this book was really appropriately aimed at the age bracket it was written for. The book is aimed at teenagers and adolescent children. There are an adventure, thrill, sadness, fun and so many other emotions throughout the book. The language and writing techniques used are a great way to engage children. It has been written applicable to teenagers and is easy to read. Even the information used about Victorian Britain would engage and involve teenagers. It is a whirlwind and as a teenager, this would definitely have been the kind of book I would have read as a teenager. As I am clearly not a teenager that is the reason I have given it a 7/10 for my personal rating but teenage me would have rated it a little higher.

I would recommend this book and definitely, recommend it to someone who has teenage children or to a child at my school who was looking for a good read. I think they would really enjoy it. So if you have a teenage child then give this book to them and whilst you're at it check out the other books which are up for first place in the competition.

Rating: 7/10 (for me) 8/10 (as a teenager)
10-Word-Review: Definitely a good read for a teenager, would absolutely recommend.

I will be finishing off a book which I started reading a while ago. My boyfriend treated himself to the classics of Goosebumps so I will be reviewing some of these books. They were books which I had as a child but could never bring myself to read, I was absolutely terrified of them. So I am going to be big and brave and try and read them.

I have found having three days off school due to heavy snowfall I have been able to catch up on my reading and on my blog. I have even completed a big portion of my 3D Harry Potter jigsaw which I received for Christmas. I am so pleased with it. I will continue to read and hope to share more with you soon...Steph xx

No comments:

Post a Comment