Saturday 23 February 2019

The Last Straw...I just wanted them all to be okay

Title: The Last Straw
Author: Ed Duncan
ISBN: 978-1-97344400-8
Rating: 7/10
Genre: Murder Mystery, Thriller, Crime
Type: Paperback

"It was a pleasant morning and all seemed right with the world. The sun shone brightly and there was a gentle breeze. As Rico and Jean strolled down a neighbourhood street, a rubber ball that had gotten away from some kids playing stick ball in the street bounced in front of them. Rico reflexively caught it on the fly and held it for a second before lobbing it back to them. He thought back to a time almost twenty-five years earlier when he had played the same game on the other side of town. Those were halycon times - until they weren't. But the thought passed quickly. Those days were gone and he seldom dwelled on them. Life was different now - more complicated and more dangerous - but not worse. He did what he wanted, came and went as he pleased, and controlled his own destiny. What more could he ask for?"

This is another book which has kindly been sent to me by Book Publicity Services. The book introduces us to Jean, a part-time prostitute who is with a customer that does not want to pay. Following a scary confrontation between Jean and this man, we are introduced to Richard Sanders, Rico. Rico is Jean's "friend", the book never actually confirms the relationship between Rico and Jean but they are certainly close. Rico is defensive of Jean and goes to find the scumbag that Jean was with that night. One thing leads to another and Rico does what he does best.

Rico is a professional hitman. I think that is the easiest way to describe his profession. He has no friends, no family and no connections. He only allows certain people into his inner circle, Jean being one of these people. Rico is asked to carry out a hit on a particular young lady. A young lady who has witnessed a carjacking gone wrong. However, Rico has one rule, he does not target women.

Sandy, the young lady who has witnessed something atrocious, is trying to do what is right and take her testimony at court, to tell the truth. There are a number of people who do not want her to do this and who are plotting against her. Paul Elliot, a lawyer who is close to Sandy and her dad is helping Sandy come to terms with what she saw and is assisting the family with any legal advice about the case which they may need.

Although Rico says he has no friends he certainly has a number of enemies. Specifically John D'Angelo. D'Angelo is a fellow hitman who has a bone to pick with Rico. As Rico said no D'Angelo is given the challenge of taking out Sandy. However, D'Angelo is convinced that Rico has caused upset in his life and wants to seek vengeance. The author keeps mentioning how there is no one better than Rico but D'Angelo is "the next best man for the job". I am sorry, but D'Angelo is rubbish at his job! If you want things to go wrong and accident to happen then hire D'Angelo.

Throughout the book, I kept asking who behind all of the crime and violence? Who is responsible for the killing of innocent people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time? Someone more dangerous than Rico? Is there any way these crimes can be stopped and life go back to normal?

The book is only 220 pages long which was a great length to be able to read comfortably and not feel like I was finding it slow paced or like the author was prolonging the inevitable. I was impressed with the knowledge of guns in the story. Something which I never thought I would say. However, the author clearly knew the different types of guns and what they are designed for. Coming from someone from a rural area of the North East of England I know nothing about guns, I could definitely tell someone had done their research about which gun to use and when.

I personally really liked Rico and Jean, I also liked Paul Elliott and his girlfriend Evelyn. I thought all of their characters were relatable. I just wanted them to all be okay. I enjoyed how all the lives of the characters were intertwined, from past experiences to shared history. They knew each other but didn't necessarily know it. There were a number of hidden secrets and things which had been buried years before starting to resurface. A number of families and people have been caught up in crimes and mistakes which should never have happened.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to start reading murder and crime books but they do not want anything really gory or scary. I enjoyed the book and I found it had enough excitement to keep me engrossed but not too much detail that I was too scared to carry on reading.

Rating: 7/10
10-Word-Review: Crime rings and revenge all because of secrets and lies.

Next, I will be reading This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay. I am going to a talk he is doing in a fortnight and my friend recommended the book. I need to read it before I go to see him. Fingers crossed for a book signing...Steph xx

No comments:

Post a Comment