Sunday 14 April 2019

This is Going to Hurt...The true life of a junior doctor

Title: This is Going to Hurt
Author: Adam Kay
ISBN: 978-1-5098-5863-7
Rating: 7/10
Genre: Adult, Medical, Biography, Non-Fiction
Type: Paperback

"A few of my colleagues had kids by this point and lived their lives in constant childcare hell, adding 'guilt' to the psychology textbook of emotions that a career in medicine bequeaths you. I don't have kids, but I could understand what a gut-wrench it was for my colleagues to settle for a goodnight phone call with their children rather than tucking them in and reading them The Gruffalo. Or, more often than not, they'd miss the call altogether because labour ward was in meltdown. A friend who worked in general surgery once couldn't go along to his own son's emergency surgery because he was performing non-emergency surgery on someone else's son and no one could cover for him."

I had heard such great things about this book. A number of people I know had already read it and I watched the National Book Awards and saw all of the different awards this book achieved. Audible New Writer of the Year, Popular Non-Fiction Book of the Year and Book Club Book of the Year. I knew I had to read this book. I had talked to my friend at work about this book and she kindly bought me a copy for Christmas.

I started reading the book expecting to read quite graphic and detailed incidents in the junior doctor profession. It was certainly detailed and a real eye-opener of what doctors really go through. The crazy hours, the funny stories, the interesting characters which they meet. However, no one seems to really appreciate the time doctors dedicate to helping and curing our loved ones. The time they sacrifice to help our family and friends.

The book is based on a number of different diary entries which Adam had experienced as a doctor. During this time he went through a number of traumatic events which had massive influences on his everyday life, relationships and career. Adam is honest, thoughtful and funny in his accounts. He brings a completely different opinion and perspective to the medical profession.

I was lucky enough to go and see Adam Kay giving a talk about this book. He was on stage at Darlington Hippodrome and he was very informative and witty. He talked about all the different stories and experiences he went through during his time in the NHS.


I really enjoyed that it was an accurate account of what a junior doctor goes through. How for people who are not part of the NHS can see into their life. It is only a small window but it was what doctors and nurses and all NHS staff go through every day. The blood, sweat and tears which are literally put into such an amazing system.


Following the talk which Adam gave he signed every book which was presented to him. I thought this was a very admirable thing as there were a number of people and he had previously performed at a number of different venues. I can only guess how many other books he had already signed but yet he took the time to personally sign mine. I absolutely love a signed book. Yet more reason not to give away any books which I have collected.

I have realised that we need to appreciate our NHS staff, whether that is doctors, nurses, porters, cleaners, consultants, surgeons, receptionists, whoever they are they need our thanks. This has definitely opened my eyes to how much they do for us. Thank you to anyone who works in this area.

After reading This is Going to Hurt I have leant it to my best friend who is a nurse and she absolutely loved it. She found it even more relatable than I did as she knew how Adam would feel. She has experienced some of the things he has first hand.

Overall I would recommend this book as I feel everyone needs to know what happens in the NHS. They need to know how NHS staff feel and how they are worked relentlessly. How no matter how often Jeremy Hunt lied about how 'junior doctors are greedy' and that they want more money these people are still fighting for our survival.

Rating: 7/10
10-Word-Review: The NHS is amazing and we need to remember that.

Since reading This is Going to Hurt I have started I have read Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman, I See You by Clare Mackintosh and When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr. These are all books which I am due to review and will post in due course.


At the moment I am about to start reading The Hunger Games Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins and the audiobook The House of Special Purpose by John Boyne. I have now really started to make my way through my reading challenge on Goodreads. Hopefully, I can continue to build my reading numbers up...Steph xx

No comments:

Post a Comment