Wednesday 29 May 2019

The House of Special Purpose...What Really Happened to the Romanov Family?

Title: The House of Special Purpose
Author: John Boyne
ISBN: 978-0-7531-4491-6
Rating: 8/10
Genre: History, Fiction
Type: Audiobook

The House of Special Purpose is a book which I absolutely loved. Georgy Jachmenev is a gentleman who was born in Russia leading up to World War One. He is kind, generous, considerate and hard working. I absolutely loved him. He is married to Zoya who when we meet is suffering from cancer. They have been together since they were 18 and now in their 80s Georgy is having to come to terms with living his adult life for the first time without Zoya once her illness becomes too much.


When we meet Georgy he is living in his home town and his father works on a farm. His father was born with a facial deformity which Georgy talks about from the very beginning. Their family is a very known family in the town due to this. Georgy finds himself defending the Tsar's cousin after a visit to his town. Due to the historical time of the story Georgy is on the brink of the First World War and the Russian Revolution. Things are controversial, times are difficult and you need to know where your loyalties lie.

Georgy is trained and employed by the Tsar to be the personal bodyguard for Tsar Nicholas II's son, Alexei. Alexei is the Great Grandson of Queen Victoria and the future Tsar of Russia. He is the brother of Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia. The infamous Romanov family. The family who were subjected to World War One, Rasputin, the Russian Revolution and the uprising against the royal family. God's anointed family.

The story is fast moving, interesting, historically informative and very engaging. I really enjoyed it and I really enjoyed a number of characters. I have always been interested in history and have found the story of the Romanov family very interesting. What really happened to Anastasia? Did she survive, did she die with her family? This story brings another option as to what happened to the family. Although it has been confirmed that the Romanov family all died together I still find it extremely interesting to listen to all the different alternatives and possibilities. I would love to hear that the reports are incorrect and Anastasia did actually escape and survive and she lived her life away from Russia and lived to old age. But this does not seem to be the case, unfortunately.

It did emphasise my dislike for Rasputin. I know it is just what the media portrayal of him and how the Russian propaganda wants you to see him. This book added a lot of historical knowledge for me. Although I knew some of the facts the book enhanced my understanding and just made me even more interested in the family. So much so that I continued to read more into their family history.

Each chapter of the book is a different point in time. Some are of Georgy's time in Russia, some are his time after working for the Tsar and some are in the present day with Zoya and living with her illness. I did find this a little difficult and confusing at times especially if I have left the story halfway through a chapter and I would then have to remind myself what time in history Georgy is discussing. This is the only negative about the story I would have and that is my misunderstanding, not the book being unclear.

I would absolutely recommend this book. I really enjoyed it and found it very informative and interesting. I collected this audiobook from my local library and would definitely recommend other people to listen or read this book.

Rating: 8/10
10-Word-Review: Fascinating, I just wish the story had only been true.

My next review will be of I See You by Clare Mackintosh. A book which I read on holiday in Spain. I have also finished When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr and Hunger Games: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.

No comments:

Post a Comment